Re: Starting with eCos : i386 target and hello application

Fabrizio

Fabrizio Carrai wrote:

> Ok, I solved the problem. When we develop an application that have to
> be loaded by Redboot that, in turn, has been loaded by GRUB, it is
> necessary to select the "Load into higher memory (2MB)"
> (CYGHWR_HAL_I386_PC_LOAD_HIGH macro name) option under "i386 PC
> target" in the eCos configuration tool.
>
> The option sets the application entry point to 0x208000, above the
> Redboot area (info on the memory left free by Redboot are displayed at
> the boot).

Thank you for taking the trouble to report the solution back to this
list. It looks like the RedBoot documentation for i386 PC needs updating
for GRUB startup and a note about configuring RAM startup applications
with CYGHWR_HAL_I386_PC_LOAD_HIGH for use with RedBoot built for GRUB
startup could be added at the same time.

Any volunteers?

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer
http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john