ping only works on local subnet w/ FreeBSD stack?

Longshot, but has anyone ever seen this behavior?
ICMP pings only work to localhost or machines on the same subnet.  If you try to ping any other machines out on the network, you get these diag messages:
recvfrom: Operation timed out

Tried this over PPP over a serial port and you can see the reply packets arrive back at the wire, but it never makes it back to the ecos app.

Max sockets are cranked up to 32 in the configtool and file descriptors are up to 64, so I shouldn't be out of resources.

Haven't tried the LwIP stack yet because that's supposed to be a lot bugger from what I've dug up (our initial testing of it showed it used a lot of CPU resources)...