How to get eCos up on Kinetis

I finally succeeded getting eCos up on my Tower K60 Kinetis Board with a complete tool chain. I just posted all the details on my blog for the next newbie that tries this.

The post covers:

- Why I picked eCos as an alternative to MQX
- Some linux pitfalls for the MQX user migrating to linux and a few issues with Parallels VM and linux
- How to install gnutools and how to compile eCos from CVS
- How to get around a 64 bit gnu compiler problem
- Why I gave up on Redboot
- Differences between MQX OSBDM and OpenOCD/JTAG
- How to setup OpenOCD with a JTagKey (adapter, drivers, config files, compiling)
- How to setup Eclipse to compile and debug
- How to setup eCos for printf on a terminal using a USB to RS232 adapter and Tower serial board

I am sure a few details got missed, and I probably hacked in a few places where a better solution exists. But at least if you are an MQX user with little linux experience, and you have a Tower board, you can probably setup everything with less trouble. Existing experts will not learn much from this post other than what starting from square one is like, not knowing about things like OpenOCD or Eclipse.

John Dallaway and Ilija Kocho, thanks for all the help getting unstuck a few times and for your patience.

You can find the post at:

http://www.eeweb.com/blog/mike_jones/getting-ecos-running-on-freescale-tower

Mike