Re: ecos and java and OSGI

Hello Jürgen,

> We want to use an OSGI framework in eCos. I see 2 solutions:
> - or run a JVM on ecos. What about MiKa (previously Wonka) or Kaffe? -
or a C version of OSGI
> Does anyone has done OSGI on eCos?

Mika would have to be re-ported to eCos, the port made by Andrea Scian in
2004 will have been subject to severe bit-rot I'm afraid.  But we can do
that for you if you have a bit of consulting budget.

Once that is working your OSGi problem is solved - plenty of people are
using Knopflerfish or Felix on top of Mika, so you shouldn't encounter
(m)any bugs.

Note that I am based in Antwerp, so Izegem counts as "international". ;-)

> - I only find for OSGI:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-07/msg00223.html

Yup, that's Andrea.

> - And for MiKa:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2010-09/msg00011.html

Didn't see this at the time.  It does bring up one thing you will have to
think about, which is how your native and Java components will work
together in the single eCos "application".  I favour a Java-centric
approach in which Mika *is* the application and all the native code
resides in bundles, but there may be reasons why you can't do this.
Similarly for threads - if threads launched by the VM have to interact
with threads launched by native code then things can get a bit messy.

> - Kaffe on ecos 1.3.1, and the download link seems not to be valid on
http://ecos.sourceware.org/contrib.html

Don't think much is happening in the Kaffe world since Dalibor took a job
with Sun.

Best regards

Chris