Re: Patch policy

Gary Thomas wrote:
** Disclaimer: I'm sure that I'm as guilty as anyone

There seems to be a gap [i.e. failing] in the response to
patches from outsiders.  Sometimes they are handled quite
quickly, sometimes never.  I think we need to establish
some policies on how to handle these efficiently.

The problem is setting time aside for the large ones. It can take a few hours to thoroughly review a large contrib like, say, the new openRISC port, even when there are few problems.

If it's any consolation, after 2.0 it's one of my priorities to deal with the patch backlog... it's _somewhat_ been put on hold as "net time" for now would be better put into 2.0, and FYI we're playing with some release candidates here on various hosts so we're getting pretty close on that.

I know it's eCosCentric's view that a proportion of my time will become dedicated to net stuff primarily for things like patches.

At the very least, we should try and assign a patch to
a maintainer within some short period of time and then it's
that person's responsibility to take care of it - whatever
the outcome.  As is, I see things come in that I'm comfortable
with that sometimes I take up, sometimes I leave by.  In the
latter case, I simply assume that someone else will handle
it.  I think this is the failing.

FWIW I've been assuming the final buck passes to me, so unless anyone else volunteers it's my problem. I do have every unapplied patch sitting here (just in a big pile, but still), but I do have the ability to go back and do it. And I still intend to, despite the age of some of the patches now!

Jifl