Re: Patch policy

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

The logo *is* since it contains the words ECOS and ECOS is a registered trademark of Red Hat. I should have been more specific: Under trademark law, colour, style, font, case, etc all are ignored if the text is trademarked. As such, the logo is just a stylised version of the text and hence is covered by the ECOS trademark.

I wonder why I've never seen them use (R) with the logo. Evidently it's a good thing IANAL then ;).

believe you that there may well have been handouts with the TM superscript... in fact I've just looked and the stickers I have here do have the TM I see. But the laxness in applying the TM as evidenced by the existing public use of logos by Red Hat makes it very difficult to enforce.

*Very* incorrect. Red Hat are *very* serious when it comes to defending their trademarks, and the trademarks do not have to be registered as you pointed out. Not just the "Red Hat" trademark but other trademarks also. They have put companies out of business defending their trademark, the most recent was last March (IIRC) when they closed down some business that was selling versions of Linux with the same codename as their latest release.

But that's presumably "passing off" which is not what we are doing. It's impossible to pass sourceware eCos off as a discontinued product ;-). Not that it could be, having been established by Red Hat, etc.etc.

And BTW, I believe you have to acknowledge trademarks by their owners. I don't think you can get away with "All registered Trade Marks are the property of their owners" anymore. Std practice though is to be told of the infringement so you have the opportunity to put things right. Just to be safe and proper, I do suggest you should put in a legal disclaimer.

I've done so by editting the footer, although it appears to be global to the site, not just the front page. If you have a better idea please say (or just go ahead and do as far as I'm concerned). e.g. if you know how to add whole new pages to bugzilla.

Jifl