Re: contributing to eCos

Gary Thomas wrote:
Daly, Jeffrey said:

hi gary, now that i've made the current CVS version of eCos build redboot for my IXP2800 platform,
i'm wondering how to submit patches to the mailing list?  are the patches expected to be created
using 'cvs rdiff' ?  (i haven't used CVS for a while)

Since you'll be adding files to the repository, the best way
is to generate a "normal" diff.  Check out the CVS tree into
a new directory.  Then generate the diffs like this:
  % diff -uNr <orig-CVS> <your-modififed-CVS>

Then send the changes, along with a description of what's up,
to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org  It's probably best to use
a MIME attachment, as many mailers mangle the patches beyond
usability.

Don't forget to make a ChangeLog file for every new package, as
well as ChangeLog entries for any files you needed to change within
the normal tree.

An alternative and more reliable means to submit a patch is to use our bugzilla system. These pages contain full details about generating patches, assignments, what makes a good patch etc.:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/patches.html

That's not to say a mail to ecos-patches would be ignored, just that in bugzilla it can be tracked properly to make sure it gets checked in.

Finally, whatever you want to contribute has to have clear "title".
In particular, we'll need you (or Intel) to assign copyright over
the material to the FSF (the new steward of eCos).  You'll also
need to have appropriate copyright boilerplate on all the files.
Note: this process and the boilerplate will probably change soon
as the use of FSF is still new.

Unfortunately since this is a very recent development, the arrangement with the FSF hasn't been properly set up yet - we don't know yet whether they are accepting assignments for eCos yet, and we don't yet have access to the system that lets us know if an assignment has been made. So you can follow the instructions here about assigning to eCosCentric on a temporary basis, or you can hold off temporarily until we find out from the FSF what's going on: http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html

Thanks!

Jifl