Re: Assignment query & tree organization

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> I don't know much about the Diopsis, but from what I see it contains an
> ARM7 with a DSP. If eCos is running on the DSP itself that would want its
> own HAL, but I would surmise that it's running on the ARM but prodding the
> DSP and providing access to it. It's not clear to me why this would
require
> a separate architecture HAL, rather than providing a way for variant
> processor HALs to extend the architecture HAL in the way you would want.
>
> The advantage is that the ARM HAL gets a lot more attention and so the
> Diopsis will get any improvements and fixes that come for the ARM HAL if
it
> uses it. If the Diopsis has its own architecture tree, it would not get
> those benefits, and so would lose out on those improvements unless someone
> notices. So it would be beneficial to keep them together if it is sensible
> to do so.

Thank you very much for your interest.
As I said the modifications to arm architecture at the moment are restricted
to vectors.S to enhance interrupt handling (use of Advanced Interrupt
Controller to call interrupt handlers) and just an init procedure that
install two interrupt handlers for the DSP.
I don't like very much the duplication of code that I did at the moment. But
I would like to be free to optimize and specialize some piece of ARM7 code
without affecting other platforms. I'll have to modify also some part of the
stub to support debugging of diopsis (single step, stop during break...,
intercept particular addresses..). The idea will be to see diopsis not as an
ARM7 + a memory mapped DSP, but as a single processor.
Is there a clean way to modify interrupt handling and stub calls doing a
variant processor?
Do you think is acceptable a solution where I modify some arm/arch files via
#ifdef HAL_XX_DIOPSIS_YY?

> Were you using eCos v2.0 or more recent CVS? The AT91 HALs had some
> substantial work and improvements done to them since eCos v2.

I used the standard v2.0 distribution.
I'll check CVS version ASAP.  thank you.

Thank you
Andrea.