Re: ecos logo

Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:41:01PM +0300, Larry Marsh wrote:

Hi,
i was wondering if the ecos logo is copyrighted,
and can it be used on products running eCos RTOS -
(for example in documentation, on product's box etc.)
I asked the free software foundation about that but
they told me to write here. Can anybody help?

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-maintainers/2003-05/msg00022.html

might be of some help. Since its a Trade Mark of RedHat i guess you
really need to ask RedHats lawyers for a definitive answer.

I can save you the trouble since I know what getting a response from Red Hat lawyers is like (actually, so do the maintainers - we are now in the 10th month since the Red Hat -> FSF assignment announcement and still no assignment)

First, IANAL.

Next, everyone can have fair use of the eCos trademark as long as they are referring to the real eCos and acknowledge ownership.

Lastly, use of the stylized version of the logo. There is a difference between the copyright of the logo and the eCos trademark, especially the use thereof. You can use the trademark as above, but stylized versions that have copyrights do require permission before use. That said, we (while at Cygnus and Red Hat) were aware of other people using the logo and never enforced copyright in its use. Since leaving, I doubt their position has changed, espcially since their announcement to donate the copyright of ecos and redboot code to the FSF. Red Hat will most likely have no interest in suddenly starting to enforce the copyright. By all means contact Red Hat legal if you want to make your use of the logo watertight, although I doubt you will find their lack of response helpful.

In all likelihood, the copyrighted logo will also be transferred to the FSF, and then it will be their responsibility and that of the maintainers what they wish to do regarding permitting use of the copyrighted logo. Hence, IMHO, you can use the logo as you suggest. The risk Red Hat will suddenly start enforcing copyright is small. That said, once (if) copyright has been transferred to the FSF, it is the FSF and ecos maintainers that will decide on its use outside the FSF.

-- Alex

Andrew