Re: Orphan packages

John Dallaway wrote:
eCos maintainers

There are currently 4 eCos packages in the repository with no
corresponding package record in ecos.db:

  CYGPKG_HAL_OPENRISC at hal/openrisc/arch
  CYGPKG_HAL_OPENRISC_ORP at hal/openrisc/orp
  CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_OPENRISC_ORP at devs/flash/openrisc/orp
  CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_SST_39VF400 at devs/flash/sst/39vf400

Such orphan packages will not be present in the forthcoming release, but
does anyone have a good reason to keep any of them in the repository at
all? If these packages might be useful to someone then they should each
have a corresponding package record in ecos.db which includes details of
their status. Otherwise, even regular eCos users may not be aware of
their existence. If no-one cares about these packages, I suggest we
remove them from the repository for reasons of consistency.

I know there are outstanding patches for the openrisc stuff stuck way way back in the patch backlog. The packages should not be deleted. I know from the lists that some people have been using the openrisc port, which means they must be using them with the patches applied. I definitely don't expect we will reach the point of reviewing (with possible subsequent modifications) the patches before 3.0, so I think the status quo will have to do.

The latter package appears obsoleted by the SST_39VFXXX package so can probably go, although I have slight hesitation to do this because third-party ports could be using it. Doesn't seem worth keeping though.

Jifl