Re: ask help for port latest bsd tcp ip stack to eCos

On 08/06/12 10:50, darcy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The TCP/IP network stack of BSD included in eCos is out of date.
> I want to port TCP/IP network stack from a latest  FREEBSD version such as
> 9.0.
> I compared eCos 3.0 's bsd network stack with the one of 4.4 bsd and found
> so many differences.
> Can you give me some advices on network stack porting?

It looks like you are already going down the route of what I would recommend:
first trying to compare against the source base used for the initial port.
However I suspect you don't have the correct source base.

In fact, I thought the source base was a snapshot of the RELENG_4_4 branch of
FreeBSD, as of 2002-01-07. But after some checks I now see it isn't a good
match. In fact a particular KAME snapshot is the source base. I believe this
should get you the source base you need for comparison:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.kame.net:/cvsroot/kame
cvs login
  <type anoncvs as the password>

cvs co -r freebsd4_snap_20020107 -P \
  kame/freebsd4/sys/{netinet,netinet6,net,kern,netkey,sys} \
  kame/kame/sys/{netinet,netinet6,net,kern,netkey}

Once you have that, you will be able to make a better comparison with the
files in eCos. Note that you have to find the files under both the
kame/freebsd4 and kame/kame trees (although unhelpfully there are a few
duplicates).

With that, you will find the diffs are a lot more manageable. A lot of the
changes that were done at the time of the port were to remove unnecessary
things such as superuser permissions (suser()) and various sysctl runtime
tunable parameters were simply removed. Many of the remaining differences can
also be explained by subsequent changes (look in the eCos changelog). There
are still plenty of changes left, but it will start to make a bit more sense
than it used to.

You may want to initially ignore the ipsec related changes (see the eCos
changelog of 2003-11-22), at least initially.

Good luck! It won't be a small job I'm afraid.

Jifl