This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: cleanup mi error message handling
- From: Nick Roberts <nickrob at snap dot net dot nz>
- To: Pedro Alves <pedro at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org, Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs dot msu dot su>, gdb-patches at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:08:23 +1200
- Subject: Re: cleanup mi error message handling
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
> > Other errors like:
> > (gdb)
> > -interpreter-exec
> > ^error,msg="mi_cmd_interpreter_exec: Usage: -interpreter-exec interp
> > command" (gdb)
> > would be due to a frontend error, so I think it would be probably be best
> > to display them elsewhare, e.g., status bar.
> I think the screen should flash and beep three times, and an email
> should be automatically sent the the frontend author :-) Seriously,
> the status bar doesn't feel right for this. This is not status.
Please don't take the status bar example too literally, it was just the first
place I thought of, and is not the focus of my message.
To get a meaningful report probably requires full logging of all the
transactions anyway, which is what I do for Emacs.
In any case I've already surrendered on this issue.
Please redirect any frontend errors using Gdb in Emacs reported on this list to