This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Patch to handle compressed sections
- From: csilvers at google dot com (Craig Silverstein)
- To: drow at false dot org
- Cc: bauerman at br dot ibm dot com, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:37:49 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: Patch to handle compressed sections
- References: <20080325230440.BF0623F25D6@localhost> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20080326173918.E6D063F25E8@localhost> <20080326180132.GB10127@caradoc.them.org> <20080326183538.346243F25E8@localhost> <20080401140953.GD12753@caradoc.them.org> <20080402000638.1BD1B3F25EF@localhost> <20080402001637.GA18178@caradoc.them.org>
} (I'd have used a four-byte magic, and an object-file-endianness
} 64-bit size; in particular the four-byte magic makes it easier to
} visually see the size in section dumps.)
Four-byte magic is a good point; I'll do that and call this version
ZLIB. If we ever wanted to add more to the zlib header, I'd just make
a new version called ZLB2 or something, so no big deal.
Object-file-endianness makes sense as well. Unless I run into
problems, I'll probably do things that way.
Thanks for your feedback!