This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [patch] Fix Linux attach to signalled/stopped processes
- From: Pedro Alves <pedro at codesourcery dot com>
- To: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>, Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>, Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>, Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>, mark dot kettenis at xs4all dot nl
- Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:37:48 +0100
- Subject: Re: [patch] Fix Linux attach to signalled/stopped processes
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
A Saturday 12 April 2008 00:21:33, Pedro Alves wrote:
> A Friday 11 April 2008 23:54:48, Pedro Alves wrote:
> > A Friday 11 April 2008 23:19:58, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > > Any idea how to do this?
> Actually, get_last_target_status should give you the ptid
> you want, I think.
Like so ?
The only way I could find to pass args != NULL, was to
attach, and then "quit $signo".
"detach $SIGNO" doesn't work:
(gdb) detach 21
Undefined detach command: "21". Try "help detach".
-- and was glad it didn't. I'm was hoping we can use
"detach $pid" in the future, to mirror "attach $pid",
but now I'm not sure we can...
Anyway, "q 19" did send a SIGSTOP, and the process
And I was able to attach to stopped processes, and
the new tests passed, which is nice. Hurray!
2008-04-12 Pedro Alves <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* linux-nat.c (get_pending_status): New.
(detach_callback): Pass pending signal.
(linux_nat_detach): Pass pending signal.
gdb/linux-nat.c | 50 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------
1 file changed, 40 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)
--- src.orig/gdb/linux-nat.c 2008-04-12 16:20:27.000000000 +0100
+++ src/gdb/linux-nat.c 2008-04-12 17:36:54.000000000 +0100
@@ -1289,6 +1289,36 @@ linux_nat_attach (char *args, int from_t
+/* Get pending status of LP. */
+get_pending_status (struct lwp_info *lp, int *status)
+ struct target_waitstatus last;
+ ptid_t last_ptid;
+ get_last_target_status (&last_ptid, &last);
+ /* If this lwp is the ptid that GDB is processing an event from, the
+ signal will be in stop_signal. Otherwise, in all-stop + sync
+ mode, we may cache pending events in lp->status while trying to
+ stop all threads (see stop_wait_callback). In async mode, the
+ events are always cached in waitpid_queue. */
+ *status = 0;
+ if (GET_LWP (lp->ptid) == GET_LWP (last_ptid))
+ if (stop_signal != TARGET_SIGNAL_0
+ && signal_pass_state (stop_signal))
+ *status = W_STOPCODE (target_signal_to_host (stop_signal));
+ else if (target_can_async_p ())
+ queued_waitpid (GET_LWP (lp->ptid), status, __WALL);
+ *status = lp->status;
+ return 0;
detach_callback (struct lwp_info *lp, void *data)
@@ -1311,18 +1341,18 @@ detach_callback (struct lwp_info *lp, vo
lp->signalled = 0;
- /* Pass on the last signal, if appropriate. */
- if (lp->status == 0 && GET_LWP (lp->ptid) == GET_LWP (inferior_ptid)
- && stop_signal != TARGET_SIGNAL_0 && signal_pass_state (stop_signal))
- lp->status = W_STOPCODE (target_signal_to_host (stop_signal));
/* We don't actually detach from the LWP that has an id equal to the
overall process id just yet. */
if (GET_LWP (lp->ptid) != GET_PID (lp->ptid))
+ int status = 0;
+ /* Pass on any pending signal for this LWP. */
+ get_pending_status (lwp_list, &status);
errno = 0;
if (ptrace (PTRACE_DETACH, GET_LWP (lp->ptid), 0,
- WSTOPSIG (lp->status)) < 0)
+ WSTOPSIG (status)) < 0)
error (_("Can't detach %s: %s"), target_pid_to_str (lp->ptid),
@@ -1332,7 +1362,6 @@ detach_callback (struct lwp_info *lp, vo
strsignal (WSTOPSIG (lp->status)));
- drain_queued_events (GET_LWP (lp->ptid));
@@ -1349,14 +1378,15 @@ linux_nat_detach (char *args, int from_t
if (target_can_async_p ())
linux_nat_async (NULL, 0);
- iterate_over_lwps (detach_callback, &status);
+ iterate_over_lwps (detach_callback, NULL);
/* Only the initial process should be left right now. */
gdb_assert (num_lwps == 1);
/* Pass on any pending signal for the last LWP. */
- status = lwp_list->status;
- if (WIFSTOPPED (status) && (args == NULL || *args == '\0'))
+ if ((args == NULL || *args == '\0')
+ && get_pending_status (lwp_list, &status) != -1
+ && WIFSTOPPED (status))
args = alloca (8);
sprintf (args, "%d", (int) WSTOPSIG (status));