This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [RFC] Avoid calling gdb_realpath if basenames are different
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 09:06:18 -0800
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Avoid calling gdb_realpath if basenames are different
- References: <20111106063053.B56F6246194@ruffy.mtv.corp.google.com>
> If people are concerned about breaking someone's usage,
> we could default basenames-may-differ to true in 7.4,
> with a warning that it will be set to false in 7.5 (or some such).
> [We could leave the default set to true, especially if someone knew
> of at least some minimally common usage this would break.
> I'd hate to otherwise penalize the vast majority of users if not.]
If it was my choice, I would go with setting it to false right now.
As you say, I think that the vast majority of people are going to
benefit from it immediately.
> 2011-11-05 Doug Evans <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> * dwarf2read.c (dw2_lookup_symtab): Avoid calling gdb_realpath if
> ! basenames_may_differ.
> * psymtab.c (lookup_partial_symtab): Ditto.
> * symtab.c (lookup_partial_symtab): Ditto.
> * symtab.c (lookup_symtab): Ditto.
> (basenames_may_differ): New global.
> (_initialize_symtab): New parameter basenames-may-differ.
> * symtab.h (basenames_may_differ): Declare.