This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: ping: Re: [patch] Forbid "run" etc. for use_gdb_stub targets
- From: Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>
- To: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Pedro Alves <pedro at codesourcery dot com>, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org, Kevin Pouget <kevin dot pouget at gmail dot com>, Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 18:55:07 -0800
- Subject: Re: ping: Re: [patch] Forbid "run" etc. for use_gdb_stub targets
- References: <BANLkTinM3j98XgLoXeAk8TLxKSgh2QzYHw@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20111028174014.GB18885@host1.jankratochvil.net> <email@example.com> <20111029194745.GA12850@host1.jankratochvil.net> <20111203183613.GA15496@host2.jankratochvil.net> <CADPb22Qt0qnaymAoWGWU48boOKPaYfzCWMEyn5BDkGYNcdfKkg@mail.gmail.com> <20111204012935.GA4034@host2.jankratochvil.net>
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Jan Kratochvil
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 02:02:06 +0100, Doug Evans wrote:
>> I'd like to get away from conflating anything related to gdb stubs and
>> valgrind / gdbserver.
> Currently $use_gdb_stub means the startup has been already executed when the
> testsuite gets into GDB control.
> IIUC in reality currently the real stubs are not in use but gdbserver in
> non-extended mode behaves as native GDB with the stubs in the past.
> Maybe $use_gdb_stub name is not fortunate for what it does, real stubs are
> only subset of $use_gdb_stub cases.
Poorly chosen names lead to confusion, bugs, and wasted time.
[No claim is made that this is news. :-)]
Plus, there's no reason why, for example, gdb_start_cmd can't work
with target remote and gdbserver.