This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [patch] Replace reread_symbols by load+free calls
- From: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- To: Pedro Alves <pedro at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org, tromey at redhat dot com
- Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:41:40 +0100
- Subject: Re: [patch] Replace reread_symbols by load+free calls
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20090625192120.GA29930@host0.dyn.jankratochvil.net> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:09:59 +0200, Pedro Alves wrote:
> On Friday 14 August 2009 23:34:31, Tom Tromey wrote:
> > I realize you pulled this patch from consideration. But, FWIW, I tend
> > to think it is a good idea, because it ensures that all the hooks and
> > observers will be run identically in both cases.
> I have to say that I didn't think it was a good idea, because of the
> way the change ties the objfiles to solib.c, and the fact that
> it makes it so that an objfile pointer becomes more volatile.
This is correct, because when someone holds a pointer to volatile data
valgrind should report it as invalid. And each such code needs to be reviewed
anyway so changing it along is not such a concern.