This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: eliminate deprecated_insert_raw_breakpoint. what's left.
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Ulrich Weigand <uweigand at de dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>, GDB Patches <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 16:12:49 +0100
- Subject: Re: eliminate deprecated_insert_raw_breakpoint. what's left.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <201409101445 dot s8AEjILM007935 at d06av02 dot portsmouth dot uk dot ibm dot com>
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> > Here is what I found:
> > https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/Internals%20Obsoleting-code
> > I agree we can obsolete Alpha OSF/1 as well.
> Once OSF/1 and IRIX are gone, I hope all of the ECOFF/mdebug debug
> format support can go as well (mipsread.c, mdebugread.c etc.) ...
Some of that stuff will best stay, to support Procedure Descriptor
Records used on MIPS ELF targets, including but not limited to Linux.
These records are the only way to get backtracing, and consequently any
reasonable control of the debuggee, to work from places that have debug
information stripped, such as often when you interrupt your debuggee while
waiting in a syscall (libc.so will often have no debug information
included, as usually won't other system-installed shared libraries).
Without that debugging is from my experience severely impeded -- you end
up in the middle of nowhere and virtually all you can do is `continue' or
`stepi', that'll in many cases merely put you back in the sleeping
All MIPS ELF binaries produced by the GNU toolchain carry these PDR
records along unless their exclusion has been explicitly requested from
GAS (which is not the default and in most cases undesirable, these records
are very lightweight and occupy little space).
I have already identified `mdebugread.h' being the only piece required
though -- in addition to `mips-mdebug-tdep.h' and `mips-mdebug-tdep.c'
that were removed from our tree as a result of an unfortunate coincidence
and have been maintained outside it for years now; they need some
improvements at the time they are brought back too. Maybe `mdebugread.h'
can be stripped down a bit and actually folded into `mips-mdebug-tdep.h'