This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] Remove support for "rtld_" prefix on solib-svr4 probes
- From: Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj at redhat dot com>
- To: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GDB Patches <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:53:20 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove support for "rtld_" prefix on solib-svr4 probes
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1411581801-19126-1-git-send-email-sergiodj at redhat dot com> <5423F08B dot 1040409 at redhat dot com> <87bnq3h1gf dot fsf_-_ at redhat dot com> <54248579 dot 8030606 at redhat dot com> <87r3yzfl86 dot fsf at redhat dot com> <54248CD1 dot 8000801 at redhat dot com>
On Thursday, September 25 2014, Pedro Alves wrote:
> There's the system GDB, that is usually maintained by the
> distro, but then it's quite often the case that people build
> and ship their own tools on top of the distro, bypassing the
> system tools.
> I tend to view supporting older-ish distros that people might
> still be using like the proprietary OSs we "support" (in a sense).
> I think that just as we'd accept a patch that makes GDB work better
> on Windows 7 OOTB (e.g., to work around some debug API issue), even
> though there's already Windows 8 out there, I think patches that make
> GDB work better OOTB on a bit older (but still in use) distros are
> fine, as long as they don't get in the way of progress and don't
> impose a big maintenance burden.
Heh, in my personal opinion GDB should not support proprietary OSes
OOTB. But I certainly don't want to start a flamewar.
As for support a bit older distro that might still be out there, I
totally agree with you. The problem is that we (as a community) don't
usually track those things very well, and code here tends to be forgot
until someone stumbles on it because of some bug...
> IMHO, there's no harm in leaving this particular bit in
> a while longer.
Me too, definitely, but there's the issue I raised in the sentence
> But I certainly won't cry over this. I'm not personally affected.
> If others are fine with yanking this out, I'll be fine with it too.
Thanks. I will wait a few more days, and if nobody else objects, I will
go ahead and push this patch in.
BTW, if I push this in, I believe my other patch to adjust the testsuite
becomes obvious, right? (Assuming that the test is indeed needed, as
you already pointed out).
GPG key ID: 0x65FC5E36
Please send encrypted e-mail if possible