Re: gdb/633: fully qualified pathnames in solib_map_sections() and remote debugging

The following reply was made to PR gdb/633; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>, Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com>
Cc: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@ges.redhat.com>, jorma.laaksonen@hut.fi,
   gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com, gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/633: fully qualified pathnames in solib_map_sections() and remote debugging
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:20:24 -0700

 On Aug 12, 11:55am, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

 > > > There are two approaches:  have solib_open() test for a local/remote
 > > > target; or, add methods to the target vector that allow solib_open() to
 > > > be written independant of the target.
 > >
 > > At the moment, I like the first approach better because it's simpler.
 > > I'd prefer that we wait on the more complicated approach until a need
 > > is demonstrated for the additional complexity.
 >
 > I agree.  But as I said above, I don't want to make this decision based
 > on local/remote.  An i386-pc-linux-gnu debugger using gdbserver will
 > default to looking in the system libraries right now; that's correct, I
 > think.

 I'm wondering how frequently this particular scenario occurs.  If it
 occurs relatively infrequently, I think it'd be better to force the
 user to set solib-absolute-prefix and/or solib-search-path.  It certainly
 seems safer than incorrectly using the host's environment variables.

 Usually, when I do the above, I'm running the debug agent in a chroot
 environment which has different libraries.  For a quick and dirty test
 of the debug agent though, I'll frequently just run it on the host in
 which case using the host's libraries is correct.

 As noted earlier in this thread (and by yourself on at least one
 occassion), one of the things which we sorely need is a mechanism to
 check to see if gdb has loaded the correct shared object.

 Kevin