gdb/907: Need better doco on how to submit a patch

>Number:         907
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       Need better doco on how to submit a patch
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Jan 04 08:48:00 PST 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     mec@shout.net
>Release:        5.3
>Environment:

We need better documentation on "how to submit a patch", targetted towards people who are submitting their first gdb patch.

Over and over again, people submit patches, and then gdb engineers point out a bunch of stylistic issues.  And imagine the work that the new submitters go through trying to guess how we like our patches.

Topics to cover:

. FSF assignment (when we need it, when we don't)
. e-mail format (we like plain text)
. diff format (diff -c3p, diff -u, forms we accept)
. ChangeLog entries needed
. Reference to CodingStyle
. RFA, RFC, PATCH, COMMIT: what they mean and which one to use
. testing: tell us how you tested your patch
. how to ping the list if your patch gets ignored (how long to wait, which list to send to)
. does your patch need doco?