gdb/916: must load _all_ shared libraries to set a breakpoint in one

>Number:         916
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       must load _all_ shared libraries to set a breakpoint in one
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 09 11:08:01 PST 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     john_roberts@credence.com
>Release:        gdb 5.2.1
I work in an environment with both Linux and Solaris
(SunOS 5.6 under CDE on an Sparc Ultra 5).  I have found
several problems with the Linux version of gdb that do NOT
show up on the Solaris side.

     On Solaris, I can load just one shared library, then
     set a breakpoint in it and run (cont) in the debugger
     until I hit that breakpoint.

     Under Linux, I must load all shared libraries my
     application uses, or else I cannot set a breakpoint
     in any of my shared libraries.

Our application is a very large server (probably over
a million lines of C++ code) that runs well under both
Solaris and Linux (built with g++ in both cases).

BTW:  I've also noticed that tab-completion of a method
      name (when trying to set a breakpoint) is broken.
      Under Linux, I'm getting tons of gobbledeegook
      emitted to the command window when I hit tab.
      It eventually stops, but doesn't complete the
      method name.