Re: gdb/923: Stepping over a fork call in gdb causes child process to become a zombie

The following reply was made to PR gdb/923; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
To: mark@streamline-computing.com
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/923: Stepping over a fork call in gdb causes child process to become a zombie
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:35:06 -0500

 On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 04:24:39PM -0000, mark@streamline-computing.com wrote:

 > >Number:         923
 > >Category:       gdb
 > >Synopsis:       Stepping over a fork call in gdb causes child process to become a zombie
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > >Responsible:    unassigned
 > >State:          open
 > >Class:          sw-bug
 > >Submitter-Id:   net
 > >Arrival-Date:   Fri Jan 10 08:28:14 PST 2003
 > >Closed-Date:
 > >Last-Modified:
 > >Originator:     Mark
 > >Release:        5.2
 > Stepping over a fork call in gdb causes child process to become a zombie. It seems this bug has been spotted before(http://developer.axis.com/doc/software/tools/gdb/knownproblems.html) but I can find no mention of it in this database.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Compile up a program containing a call to fork(), and then use gdb to step over the fork() call (using the 'next' command for example). The child process is created but zombied. This doesn't happen if you put a breakpoint on the next line and use continue to execute the fork() call.

 The only way to fix this involves both GDB changes and kernel changes.
 You're lucky, they're both done for Linux.  The kernel support is in
 2.5.48 and later; I believe Red Hat has said it will be in the 8.1
 beta.

 The GDB changes are being submitted.  It's taking a long freaking time
 to do it, sorry.  May be another month.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz