Re: gdb/1250 [regression] bad backtrace when function that calls 'abort' at end

The following reply was made to PR backtrace/1250; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@chello.nl>
To: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/1250 [regression] bad backtrace when function that calls 'abort' at end
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:51:36 +0200 (CEST)

 Michael,

 Using GCC 3.2.3, things work even without "-g" for me.  Things only
 break for me if I completely strip symbols from the binary (by using
 strip).  That's understandable.  Without symbol information it's
 impossible to determine where a function starts, which means we cannot
 do any prologue analysis.  Since we now assume that functions are
 frameless by default, backtraces for functions with a frame will fail.

 We can't get this right in all circumstances, and I still think that
 assuming a function is frameless is a sensible thing to do if prologue
 analysis fails.  However, it might be a good idea to assume that code
 has a frame if we fail to do any prologue analysis at all because we
 cannot find the start of a function.  What do you think about that?

 Mark