remote/1459: want to change from ethernet to serial without killing the program being debugged

>Number:         1459
>Category:       remote
>Synopsis:       want to change from ethernet to serial without killing the program being debugged
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Nov 19 14:08:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Rohit Sharma
>Release:        GNU gdb 5.0
I am using gdb to debug application on MBX target board. The
size of the application is big and it takes long to download
through serial port. So I am connecting gdb to target
through ethernet and downloading the application. Now I want
to switch to serial port for debugging. But on giving the
command to connect to target through serial port, gdb asks
me to kill the downloaded program first. Is it possible to
connect to serial without having to kill the downloaded
program?
>How-To-Repeat:
give the command powerpc-eabi-gdb and connect to target
through ethernet. Now download the application by giving
load command. Now give the target remote /dev/ttyS0 command.
gdb will prompt to kill the program.