cli/1492: edit command should detect emacs hosting session

>Number:         1492
>Category:       cli
>Synopsis:       edit command should detect emacs hosting session
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Dec 20 02:18:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     laurentm@synopsys.com
>Release:        GNU gdb 6.0
I am in a gud session under emacs. I issue the edit command as follows:
edit <function_name>

If the 'EDITOR' environment variable is set to point to emacs, a new emacs frame is opened with a new process id, whereas I expect this command to detect that gdb is working in a gud emacs session and just open a new buffer under the existing process. It should not even attempt to use another editor in that case, even if the 'EDITOR' variable is pointing to something else than emacs.

Moreover the file name is not constructed correctly, but this is already reported inside enhancement request #1293.
>How-To-Repeat:
In the shell, set the EDITOR environment variable to point to emacs. Then invoke emacs.
>From emacs, invoke gud on a debuggable executable compiled with gcc. Then type:
edit main
In the shell, check that the newly created emacs windows runs under a new process.