Re: c++/1593: Problem with nested namespaces

The following reply was made to PR c++/1593; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Carlton <carlton@kealia.com>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
Cc: GNATS Filer <gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: c++/1593: Problem with nested namespaces
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:31:23 -0800

 On 23 Mar 2004 17:08:02 -0000, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> said:

 >  The basic problem is that by explicitly providing a constructor and
 >  destructor, you've suppressed the implicit operator=.

 Now I'm confused.  Looking at the assembly file, you're quite right:
 there isn't an operator= listed in the class definition.  But I think
 there should be one - a user-defined constructor/destructor doesn't
 suppress a compiler-defined operator=.  So, for example, if you
 replace his main() by this:

 int main()
 {
   Foo mywrapped;
   Foo mywrapped2;

   mywrapped2 = mywrapped;

   return 0;
 }

 then you'll see operator= in the class definition in the debug info.

 Which suggests to me that GCC (I used Red Hat's 3.2, but it must also
 be the case for the GCC 3.3 that he used) doesn't emit identical debug
 info for the definition of the same class in different translation
 units.  Which really sucks, from GDB's point of view.