Re: fortran/3: gdb segfaults associated with FORTRAN (g77) arrayarguments

The following reply was made to PR fortran/3; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Fred Krogh <fkrogh@mathalacarte.com>
To: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com, nobody@sources.redhat.com,
	smith@arete-dc.com
Subject: Re: fortran/3: gdb segfaults associated with FORTRAN (g77) array
 arguments
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:33:43 -0700

 It looks like gdb still has this problem at version 6.3.  (Or perhaps it
 is g77 version 3.4.3??)  Here is a way to reproduce.

 The program (test.f):

      integer IA(10), I
      do I = 1, 10
        IA(I) = I
      end do
      call IP(IA)
      print *, 'IA(1)=', IA(1)
      stop
      end
      subroutine IP(IA)
      integer IA(10)
      IA(1) = IA(1) + IA(2)
      IA(2) = IA(2) + IA(3)
      return
      end

 Compile it:
 g77 -g -o test test.f

 Debug it:
 bash-2.05b$ gdb test
 GNU gdb 6.3
 are
 conditions.
 This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host
 libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

 (gdb) break test.f:12
 Breakpoint 1 at 0x4009cd: file test.f, line 12.
 (gdb) run
 Starting program: /tmp/test/test

 Breakpoint 1, ip_ (ia=0x7fffffffef30) at test.f:12
 12            IA(2) = IA(2) + IA(3)
 Current language:  auto; currently fortran
 (gdb) p ia(2)

 0x00007fffffffef30 in ?? ()
 The program being debugged was signaled while in a function called from
 GDB.
 GDB remains in the frame where the signal was received.
 To change this behavior use "set unwindonsignal on"
 Evaluation of the expression containing the function (at 0x7fffffffef30)
 will be abandoned.

 I find it of some interest that if I start with "set unwindonsignal on"
 then the recommendation for changing the identical behavior is to "set
 unwindonsignal off"!

 If there is some "approved" way to, for example, print entries 3 to 6 of
 IA while in the subroutine IP, I'd love to know what it is.

 Many thanks,
     Fred