Re: remote/2158: Memory access error while loading section .text, Escape characters

The following reply was made to PR remote/2158; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
To: ronald.hecht@gmx.de
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: remote/2158: Memory access error while loading section .text, Escape characters
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:38:58 -0400

 On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 01:24:53PM -0000, ronald.hecht@gmx.de wrote:
 > While porting to a new target, I found a problem downloading the
 > executable into the SID simulator. I'm getting the following error
 > message:

 > Memory access error while loading section .text.

 Could you provide a trace using "set debug remote 1"?

 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Difficult, as I'm working on a new target.
 > >Fix:
 > I tracked down the problem to a possible bug in
 > remote.c/remote_write_bytes(). When sending characters to be escaped
 > the following code is in my opinion wrongly executed:

 Why wrongly?  Do you mean that it shouldn't be executed, or that it is
 executed incorrectly?

 I really wouldn't have expected you to be triggering that code with an
 0x45 byte text section, anyway.  That's plenty small enough to fit in
 one packet.  Is get_memory_write_packet_size returning something tiny?

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz
 CodeSourcery