pending/2271: Fwd: exp/1783: Gdb can't lookup class typedef when in methods of the class

>Number:         2271
>Category:       pending
>Synopsis:       Fwd: exp/1783: Gdb can't lookup class typedef when in methods of the class
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   unknown
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Jun 12 13:18:01 UTC 2007
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:
>Release:
 Hi,
 Even i faced a similar problem.

 This is a small code that we wrote :

 #include
 #include

 class Sthread
 {
 public:
     int x ;
     int y ;
     Sthread() { printf ("Nice sthread\n") ;}

     ~Sthread() ;
     void test_sthread (void) ;
 };

 void Sthread::test_sthread (void)
 {
     int i ;
     i = 10 ;
     i++ ;
     printf ("Value of I = %d\n", i) ;
 }

 void main ()

 {
    class Sthread *newThr ;

    printf ("This code tests gdb type printing \n") ;
    newThr = new Sthread() ;

    newThr->test_sthread() ;

    return 0 ;
 }

 On debugging this with the latest gdb
 6.6, here's the output :

 GNU gdb 6.6

 This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
 Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

 (gdb) break main
 Breakpoint 1 at 0x8049522: file new.cpp, line 26.
 (gdb) run
 Starting program: /emc/quabalak/progs/new

 Breakpoint 1, main () at new.cpp:26
 26         printf ("This code tests gdb type printing \n") ;

 (gdb) n
 This code tests gdb type printing
 27         newThr = new Sthread() ;
 (gdb) ptype Sthread
 type = class Sthread {
   public:
     int x;
     int y;

     Sthread & operator=(Sthread const &);

     ~Sthread(void);
     Sthread(Sthread const &);
     Sthread(void);
     void test_sthread(void);
 }
 (gdb) n
 Nice sthread
 29         newThr->test_sthread() ;
 (gdb) s
 Sthread::test_sthread (this=0x8050bb8) at
 new.cpp:17
 17          i = 10 ;
 (gdb) ptype Sthread
 Type Sthread has no component named Sthread.
 (gdb)

 From this its seen that the type of a class can be printed without
 problems as long as you are not inside the member function of that
 class itself. When inside the

 member function like in test_sthread (), trying to print the type of
 the class gives a problem. Till gdb fixes this problem, the workaround
 is to suffix
 "class" before the class name. In the above case, we would be required to say

 (gdb) ptype class Sthread

 I tried with tha latest redhat gdb release 6.6, the problem still
 exists. So would like to know any further updates on this problem. By
 when it will be fixed?

 Thanks in advance.

 Indira