Re: New GDB snapshot available

> On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 10:18:31AM +0100, Eric Paire wrote:
> > Finally, what I deeply deplore is that it is not fair to give technical
> > reasons of not inserting linux-threads support in the upcoming gdb-4.18,
> > because I offered my time to the gdb team last summer to help them
> > introducing linux-threads in the reference tree, but never received any
> > answer except that inserting support for hpux-threads was the main
> > priority. Now, it is too late since I am very busy on other projects.
> > The only thing that I will do in the near future is to provide Linus
> > Torvalds with kernel patches of the small bugs I have discovered with
> > this development.
>
> The result is simply that the Linux distributions will effectively fork their
> tree and use a gdb with your patches added. This already happened with RedHat -
> they ship a gdb 4.17 rpm with your debugging patch added in 5.2. Threads
> debugging is a critical enough thing that the other dists will probably
> follow. This is unfortunate, but will happen.

That is very unfortunate indeed. That is why I bring it up again
and again. The good news is Jim and I will work to merge all the
Linux changes into gdb 4.19. The bad news they won't be in gdb
4.18. I don't think it is a big loss. I will make a Linux patch
for gdb 4.18 when it is released. It shouldn't be very hard since
I have tried to limit my changes in the Linux specific files as
much as I can.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)