debugging Fortran on SGI

I have been using gdb to debug some FORTRAN compiled by the SGI Fortran
compiler.

gdb seems to not know how to print out FORTRAN string variables.  To see
the contents of the string you have to use a print command like this:

p (char *)&fortran_string_var

Am I missing some command here that can tell gdb how to understand fortran
strings?