Re: Preparing for the GDB 5.0 / GDB 2000 / GDB2k release

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 12:26:45AM +1100, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> With that in mind, I've tentatively planned: two weeks of
> patch resolution; the cutting of the 5.0 branch (2000-02-21?); one week
> of last minute checks; and then the 5.0 release (29/2 2000-02-29?).
> (Everyone is free to roll on the floor laughing at this point :-)

I think this is too aggressive.  If we had the old source base, maybe it
would be tenable, but the new repository has mixed the old GDB sources
with a BFD that hasn't been sync'ed for something like six months.
And there hasn't been a binutils release in over a year and a half--so
the stability of binutils across a wide array of platforms has to be
considered.

Maybe it would be better to get some test results from a variety of common
Unix platforms and decide based on how things look.  NB cygwin support
in binutils is noticably broken -- it will take at least a little work
to get that resolved.

On the other hand, I do agree that a release will go much more smoothly
now that the repository is on sourceware.

MHO,

Jason