[martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de: gdb 4.17, Linux, and the 387]

FYI.

-----Forwarded message from Martin von Loewis <martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>-----

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 23:53:34 +0100
From: Martin von Loewis <martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
To: jsm@cygnus.com
Subject: gdb 4.17, Linux, and the 387

Jason,

One think that should definitely be in gdb 4.17 is support for the x86
FPU on Linux. There are unfortunately some confusions around that (as
2.0 and 2.1 have different ptrace interfaces in that area), but it has
more or less been decided to use Bill Metzenthen's interface.  The
patches are at
http://www.suburbia.net/~billm/floating-point/gdb/gdb.html.

I understand that you can't just take them, and neither can I
contribute them. In case Bill does not contribute them, I'm willing to
produce another patch from scratch. I think that FPU access can be
reasonably isolated to not break anything else. One issue is whether
there should be a i386linux-nat.c.

Please let me know what you think about all this, and what the
deadline for contributing these patches would be.

Regards,
Martin

-----End of forwarded message-----