gdb debugging native solaris c++ code

Hi,

if I compile more than one c++-file with native CC 4.2 on
Solaris 2.5.1, gdb-4.16 seems to be unable to read the debugging
symbols from the resulting binary.
It is, however, able to do a backtrace if I run a binary
from within gdb, albeit the c++-method names are still mangled.
It is also unable to read a core generated by such a binary.
If I compile things with gcc (2.8.0 for that matter), debugging
is no problem at all.

Does anybody know help, besides compiling with gcc or egc?
Are things different on Solaris 2.6?

  Guenther