Breakpoints in GDB

I'm trying to add hardware breakpoint support for the MPC860, using
HMI's

BDM pod and am having a problem. I can set a couple breakpoints,
run,

and it will stop at the right place. But when I try to continue,
instead

of inserting the breakpoints, gdb calls target_resume with the
arguements

to single step. So the target does, but for some reason gdb sets
the program

counter to the last value of the link register. If I manually
single step first,

then continue, everything works ok. Is there some trick I
am missing? I

can't try it right now, but I'm pretty sure that when I use
software

breakpoints, I don't have this problem. As far as I can tell the
hardware

and software breakpoints look the same to gdb. Why is it handling
them

differently? What do I need to do to make this work? Thanks.