Modifying gdb for full run-time tracing with timing metrics

I'd like to to add to gdb the capability of tracing every line of code it
visits as it runs the loaded executable (as 'trace' does in dbx), or
possibly just the entering and leaving of every function call -- and at the
same time keeping track of how much time each line or function took to
execute. (Yes I'm aware of printing this information out while running is
going to slow down the execution).

Any hints on where in the gdb source code I'd have to do the work?

Many thanks.

Doug Rudoff
d.rudoff@f5.com