Use of shared libs with remote (embedded) target?

Hello all,

Has anyone done GDB support for debugging embedded targets remotely (we
use a serial port), including support for (ELF) shared libraries?
I know about add-symbol-file, but I'm having trouble with it.  Further,
something automagic like the way Solaris shared objects are discovered
by a breakpoint would be a Good Thing.

AFAIK the necessary code is mostly there in solib.c but it assumes the
host == target at least a little bit.

I'm using powerpc-eabi as my target with sparc-solaris as my host.  If
you have guidance to offer or suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Also,
if there is no such existing functionality would other folks be
interested in it?

Cheers,
Alan Mimms
alan@packetengines.com