Re: 4.17.86 on AIX 4.2.0.0 using IBM xlc

   Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:37:51 +1100
   From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>

   Stan Shebs wrote:
   > I assumed those two trailers were the only mistakes and already
   > committed the fixes.  Any other such mistakes would likely have been
   > fixed long ago, because of previous xlc or other compiler runs - these
   > two enums were recently introduced/modified.

   I'm not sure what you're asking here.

   That code has always compliled with GCC.  What is new is that the
   4.17.86 smap is being exposed to the wims of XLC (a different ISO-C
   compiler).

Actually - everybody hold on to your hats - this isn't the first time
that GDB has been compiled with compilers other than GCC. :-)  The
official expectation is that GDB is portable C code, and that it can
be compiled and built by any reasonable C compiler.

   I can probably dig up an AIX box with XLC and work through the errors it
   produces.  However, if someone else can report back on XLC (with a
   patch) it is going to happen much quicker.

Yes.  To be honest, testing GDB with every possible compiler is not a
good use of Cygnus maintainers' time, so I'd prefer to rely on our
esteemed volunteers for this kind of testing (and indeed they've been
doing a great job of catching mistakes, thanks folks!)

								Stan