Re: MMX registers on x86?

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 01:40:57PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:

> > I know folks are talking about floating point support in gdb, but what
> > about MMX (including 3dnow) registers?
> >
> > In my work with 3dnow, I used as a solution a routine which stored the 8
> > mmx registers in memory, and I just examined that instead...
>
> I haven't heard of anyone else working on this.  Write a patch! :)

I suspect that since one can already examine all 80 bits of the float
registers (?) that this is just a matter of writing the display code.
However, what do you do when the registers have so many different ways
of being looked at?  These come to mind:
	long double
	float[2]
	unsigned[4]
	signed[4]
	unsigned short[4]
	short[4]
	unsigned char[8]
	signed char[8]
worse, one might wish for %mm0 to be a float[2] but %mm1 to be
unsigned[4].  The type letters used by "x" are useful for this, but I'm
not quite sure how they would apply to "print %mm0" or "info registers".

Jeff
--
\/ jepler@inetnebr.com http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jepler/ (0|1(01*0)*1)+