Re: Library interface to GDB

Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:

> Martin> Basically I want to write a GNOME frontend for gdb, but not
> Martin> just "yet another gdb frontend", but *the* gdb
> Martin> frontend. Ideally it should export all its functionallity
> Martin> through CORBA so you can also use it in other projects like
> Martin> GNU Emacs, KDE or whatever.
>
> Are you familiar with dryad?
> The author is working on a library that can be used to communicate
> with gdb.  He is also writing a CORBA interface to gdb.
Hi, I'm the author of Dryad, and I thought I'd clarify a little bit what the CORBA interface is.

The CORBA interface isn't intended exactly to be a CORBA interface to GDB, but more of a generic 'Debugger' interface.  In addition, the general idea of that interface (which is in the Corba module 'VDE' for 'Visual Development Environment') is that any particular GUI could implement it - whether or not that application uses GDB, or libdryad (the library that communicates with GDB).  This CORBA interface would perhaps include a 'show the locals window' method.

I am considering wrapping libdryad in a CORBA interface as well, to allow prospective GUIs to communicate with it via CORBA.  That would be a bit more like a CORBA interface to GDB.

> I think it would make sense for these parts to be separate from the
> actual GUI.  That way if you don't like his GUI for some reason you
> can implement your own -- but without reinventing the useful
> GUI-independent pieces.
Yes, that's basically what it does - the CORBA interface is just that; an interface.  Any debugger would be able to export the functionality, but the surrounding parts (Visual Development Environments utilizing the debugger, for example) would not necessarily know which debugger it was using.

Anyway, I'd just thought I'd clarify something that may have already been perfectly clear.  Thanks for your time,

-dave

And Martin - perhaps we can discuss working together on a debugger - taking some stuff from ggdb (for example, I like parts of the idl) and putting in Dryad, or whatever.  No sense in us working on redundant projects.  Email me and we'll discuss it.

--
Dave Camp             Student, Oregon Institute of Technology
campd@oit.edu         (541) 885-0261