Re: GDB-Protocol: Version/Protocol packet

Andrew> Hello, As a starting point, I'd like to put forward:
Andrew>
Andrew> 	<- qVersion
Andrew>		-> { <prefix><version> }
Andrew>
Andrew> <prefix> ::=
Andrew> 	All prefix letters and strings reconized by the
Andrew> 	monitor vis: S qCRC qL qP qC
Andrew>
Andrew> <version> ::=
Andrew> 	A version integer as an identifier of changed packets.

This seems a bit over-complicated.  Giving each command prefix a
version number could cause an explosion of potential combinations.  If
a version number scheme is required, perhaps a major.minor scheme like
those used for shared libraries would be appropriate.  The major
number would remain constant as long as none of the commands are
changed, the minor number would increase as new commands are added.

I assume that the current remote protocol, or perhaps even a subset,
would be considered version '0', and any stub that doesn't support the
qVersion command would be considered to be version 0. (Thus preventing
any new command being misinterpreted by an old ROM that usurped a free
command letter).

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin