[comp.lang.modula2] Re: XDS compiler

I've long wondered if there was any point to hanging onto the Modula-2
frontend in GDB - apparently someone is using it...

								Stan

From: Gaius Mulley <gaius@floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.modula2
Subject: Re: XDS compiler
Date: 15 Jul 1999 12:29:02 +0100

Martin Brown wrote:

> Barton 1 wrote:

> > In article <3789BD29.1218@DesignTools.co.nz>,
> >   JGranville@DesignTools.co.nz wrote:

> > > There is an interesting doc :-
> > > http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/3_GNUPro_Debugging_Tools/b_Debugging_with_GDB/gdbModula2.html
> > >
> > > that mentions
> > > "The extensions made to GDB to support Modula-2 only support output from
> > > the GNU Modula-2
> > > compiler (which is currently being developed). Other Modula-2 compilers
> > > are not currently
> > > supported, and attempting to debug executables produced by them is most
> > > likely to give an error as
> > > GDB reads in the executables symbol table. "
> > >
> > > But as for real SW, I don't think so.. - still, must be a GNU Modula-2
> > > in alpha somewheres
> >
> >   Yes, I've long thought exactly the same thing, since the debugger
> > docs you referenced suggest that at least some work was done on a
> > "GNU Modula-2". But if someone does have the code lying around somewhere
> > they are certainly being quiet about it!  The EGCS pages at Cygnus
> > also show no indication of any M2 front end project.

> Look on old Linux distributions there was something which approximately worked (at least
> superficially and provided you never make any syntax errors) was on one in the mid 90's.
> I have never used it except to run Hello World.

> Regards,
> Martin Brown

was this m2f by chance? The latest version of m2f will be uploaded
to tsx-11 this afternoon. Hopefully it will reside in:

tsx-11.mit.edu /pub/linux/sources/usr.bin/m2f-3.8.tar.gz

but if you are desperate you can download it from:
http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk (under scatching an itch).
There is some brief info about m2f also at this site.
Src/bin in rpm format and src in tar.gz format.

m2f is covered by GPL. The Modula-2 compiler conforms to
PIM Edition 2 and it works well with GDB etc.

Features:

   +  Full debugging via emacs/gdb
   +  -students flag performs extra semantic checking
      for dangerous novice programming styles.
   +  SYSTEM.def and SYSTEM.mod really exist so you can
      add goodies such as TRANSFER/NEWPROCESS.

Older versions of m2f were on some of the Linux archives CDs
in the mid 1990s and more recently on CheapBytes RPMs galore
(winter 99).

Release 3.8 uses its own code generator. V. stable but not as
efficient as GCC.

However work is being done, as we speak, to utilize the front
end of m2f and the back end of GCC - this is still some way
off yet though..

hope this helps,

Gaius
---
Gaius Mulley       University of Glamorgan     gaius@glam.ac.uk
"I previously had IE4/NT4 on the same box and by comparison the
combination of Linux/Nagivator ran at least 30-40% faster when
rendering simple HTML + graphics", Josh Cohen, Microsoft (8/98)