Re: gdb performance is impossible!!

    >> We just switched our large application from the SunPro compiler to GCC
    >> 2.95.1.  This required us to switch from dbx to gdb 4.18.  We have
    >> found that gdb's performance is incredibly slow - so much so as to
    >> make it pretty much unusable.  I've got to beleive that this is
    >> something unique to us since I know that gdb is considered an
    >> excellent debugger.

    JB> What operation, specifically, is slow?

Everything!  Startup is excruiatingly slow.  After that, it can take over 30
seconds for it to acknowledge breakpoint settings commands.  Displaying of
variables is sloooow.  Nothing at all is reasonably responsive.  I should
tell you that my system is a reasonably configured SPARC Ultra 10.

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

"Every time I think I've idiot-proofed something someone comes up with a
better idiot"