Re: Debugging Windows Namespace extension dll

In article <l03130300b404ff236a3b@[138.251.135.28]>,
Mark Hindley  <mh15@st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
>I am in the middle of writing a windows namespace extension implemented as
>an in process server dll. I have got the basic structure complete and it
>builds fine with gcc, but I can not get it to debug with gdb.
>
>I am trying:
>
>exec-file /windows/explorer.exe
>
>source-file MyDll.dll
>
>set args /root, {My CLSID},
>

>There appears to be 2 problems. I get an access violation when the dll is
>read, eith as the initial symbol file, or when it is loaded by explorer
>when the programme is run. The other is that I am unable to set any
>breakpoints. If I type
>
>break DllMain
>
>the reply is
>
>Cannot access memory at 0x....

The way that I normally do something like this is:

    gdb /windows/explorer.exe
    symbol-file MyDll.dll
    set args /root
    l DllMain
    bp <first line number in DllMain>
    run

As you probably, know using 'symbol-file' wipes out any existing symbol file
so this may not be exactly what you want.  You could use add-sym if you know
the load address of your DLL.

Hope this helps,
Chris Faylor
--