Re: 64bit GDB

> Was there any study(atleast) done to make gdb work on solaris2.7/sparc.
> The 64bit gdb is a must for my project. For a guy new to gdb code, how long
> will it take to make it work(if he spends 8hrs a day, 5days/week). rough
> estimations.

It depends on the guy.  You have several extant targets which have
made the 32- to 64-bit jump to use as examples: MIPS began life as a
32-bit machine, as did the PA.  I would recommend looking at MIPS,
though.  Compare gdb/config/mips/tm-mips.h vs
gdb/config/mips/tm-mips64.h, etc.

Look also at gdb/doc/gdbint.texinfo, which describes GDB's internals.

You're welcome to ask specific questions here.  There are many people
on this list who have done ports.

> repeated question: The libraries libbfd, libreadline, libopcodes
> etc, are they 64-bit compliant with respect to sol2.7/sparc.

Repeated answer: we have the entire toolchain running on the DEC alpha
microprocessor, which is a 64-bit machine.  They have been tested and
used extensively on 64-bit machines other than the sparc.  Thus, any
problems you might find will be specific to the sparc, which seems
unlikely.

Good luck!