Re: Gdb target for kdb

    From: Jim Blandy <jimb@cygnus.com>
    Date: 23 Nov 1999 16:04:07 -0500

    > We intend to use gdb to debug a running Linux kernel connected
    > to another Linux box via an asynchronous line. For this purpose,
    > we are considering developping a new gdb target that interfaces
    > with kdb. Has anyone ever tried to develop such a kdb target
    > before ?

    GDB has facilities for talking with ROM monitors.  You simply tell GDB
    what the monitor's prompt looks like, how it prints registers, how it
    dumps memory, and so on, and GDB will act as a very fast typist.  :)
    Kdb's output might be close enough to a ROM monitor that this would
    work.

    gdb/monitor.h describes the general principles, and any gdb/*-rom.c
    file can furnish an example.

Another thing to look at is kgdb from Sun Microsystems.

Unfortunately, I don't know many of the details (esp. the precise
url).  If you do a search at www.sun.com it should find it.