Re: gdb weekly snapshots

Andrew wrote:

> At present gdb+dejagnu.tar.bz2 and insight+dejagnu.tar.bz2 snapshots are
> being created.  The names best reflect what is really in the archive.

Well yes, but why bother being pedantic?  The filenames are all
eight characters longer than they need to be, when the longer name
provides no additional information.  If you're going to download
a gdb snapshot, you're going to get dejagnu, deal with it.  Why
burden the filenames with extraneous characters every day?

> Also of interest is the weekly *-CVS-* file.  It contains a full CVS
> checkout (although right now it is a checkout of the GDB-5.0 branch).

Is this actually useful?  If someone does

 cvs -d ... -z9 co gdb

They'll get a cvs checkout of GDB (or add the branchname to get
the branch) just as fast as if they'd grabbed the snapshot.  I
guess there is less load on sourceware if they download a
pre-checked-out tarfile, but how many people actually do this in
a week?  Is this common enough to make all the mirror sites download
a copy of this file every week?

> With respect to pointing gdb.tar.bz2 -> gdb+dejagnu.tar.bz2.  The mirror
> sites probably won't like it.  Like a separate gdb.tar.bz2 archive
> (which is what I was doing) it would just increase the amount of mirror
> data being shipped out each night.

IMO including dejagnu in the nightly snapshots is not a big deal.
Include it, don't uglify the snapshotnames with +dejagnu, and everyone
is happy.