Re: gdb weekly snapshots

Jason Molenda wrote:

> > Jonathan wrote:
>
> > > If it's considered better just to drop the non-dejagnu snapshots, can those
> > > instead be made the gdb.tar.bz2/insight.tar.bz2 hard links in whatever the
> > > script is (those names make for easier URLs to point people at), and remove
> > > the old snapshots please?
>
> Andrew wrote:
>
> > At present gdb+dejagnu.tar.bz2 and insight+dejagnu.tar.bz2 snapshots are
> > being created.  The names best reflect what is really in the archive.
>
> Well yes, but why bother being pedantic?  The filenames are all
> eight characters longer than they need to be, when the longer name
> provides no additional information.  If you're going to download
> a gdb snapshot, you're going to get dejagnu, deal with it.  Why
> burden the filenames with extraneous characters every day?

The name did two things: it differentiated its self from the smaller
gdb.tar.gz; the archive script would mapp ``co gdb dejagnu'' onto
``gdb+dejagnu''.  Hmm, given that there is no longer a gdb.tar.bz2 I can
probably be less pedantic.

> > Also of interest is the weekly *-CVS-* file.  It contains a full CVS
> > checkout (although right now it is a checkout of the GDB-5.0 branch).
>
> Is this actually useful?  If someone does
>
>  cvs -d ... -z9 co gdb

Suprisingly, when I stopped creating them, I was sent requests to put
them back!  Chopping them back to once a week was a compromize.  I
suspect it is quicker / easier to grab that then remember the correct
CVS options :-)

	Andrew