RE: problem switching between threads

> "J.T. Conklin" wrote:
> >
> > One of my back burner tasks is to adapt our vxWorks/WDB target to use
> > GDB's own thread infrastructure instead of maintaining its own thread
> > list, etc.  Earlier today I added code to add each thread to GDB's
> > thread list while I was building my the one used by the WDB target.
> > This did not work as well as I expected.
> >
> > The problem is that switch_to_thread() does not resume the currently
> > running thread nor suspend the thread being switched to.  Things get
> > confused as a result.  The old task sits around doing nothing, while
> > GDB thinks the new task is suspended when it may be executing.
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered this, or is GDB's thread support only used
> > for targets where all threads stop when one is under debug?
>
> J.T.
>
> I believe your analysis is correct.
>
> 	Andrew
Not only is it correct, but rather than try to get GDB to properly suspend
the right thread, and resume it at the right time, I convinced a kernel
engineer at Be to add a flag to stop all child threads/threads in a team
when a thread entered the debugger.
It's that harrowing to try to solve the problem.
As i've said before, most of the work getting GDB to work on BeOS was
working around GDB itself.
:)
--Dan